Friday, September 9, 2011

Honey, I Didn't Know Your Head Could Spin Like That!

    I married a stereotypical, All-American, "guys guy."  He grew up in a small town in the south where athletics and football, in particular, are King.  I think it's quite fair to say that he is athletically gifted, as he excelled at basically every sport he played, and the first day of football season (LSU and pro) is better than any holiday and birthday combined.  And, his close knit band of guy friends would walk into traffic for one another if necessary.
     Yep.  He is definitely a guy's guy.  So when it comes to the ways of the woman he is particularly unskilled and uneducated.  Now don't get me wrong, and he will kill me for writing this, but he was quite the little ladies man back in the day.  However, that experience didn't aptly prepare him for the true lifestyle, with all it's intricacies, of the female.  So, naturally, he was blessed with a little daughter.  Talk about being thrown into the deep end of the pool!
     It has been quite entertaining for me, these past few months, to watch this burgeoning relationship develop between my little gal and her daddy.  I now understand how little girls get their dad's wrapped around their little fingers because I have had a front row seat for this evolution.  The, previously, bumbling and uncomfortable dad has quickly become the object for most of Sophie's  laughs and smiles.  Daddy is definitely the funniest person on the planet.  Then we get the smile, followed by the bashful head turn, burying her face into my shoulder, then peeking at dad again with a giant smile.  My God!  This girl is a master at 9 months!  I'm in awe.
      However, she has her work cut out for her, because daddy still has a lot to learn. To go into all the in's and out's of being a girl and all the things that baffle mankind would take novels in volumes so I'm just going to touch on the most recent "Big Ugly Surprise" as I like to call it, that my husband has had to face.  CLOTHES!
One of my favorite subjects, one of my husband's least.
     So our 500 degree per day Texas weather has finally started to turn.  BUT, horror of horrors! Our daughter is not sufficiently wardrobed for the upcoming fall season.  She has more options than I thought possible of adorable, very hot weather appropriate clothes but nothing for Fall.  Pretty standard stuff for anyone with a new child.  However, this seemed like a giant mystery to my husband who thinks that Sophie has more clothes than Rachel Zoe.  The fun part for me was when I got to inform him that she would indeed need a whole wardrobe, EVERYTHING! As she has nothing for cool weather.  I thought he might pass out on the spot.  (I forgot to mention-He is also very knowledgeable in the finance dept. and very spend conscious so this is a concept that is very hard for him to wrap his brain around)  However, the REAL fun came when I informed him that she would likely need a new wardrobe for every upcoming season for the next several years as she grows like a weed and will, in no way, fit into last season's clothes. WOW!  Head spinning commences!
     You know the saying, "youth is wasted on the young."?  Well I say, "fashion is wasted on the young!" If someone were to buy me a whole new wardrobe every season for the next several years I would be the slap-happiest gal I know.  I can guarantee that my Sophie could care less about her new duds.  Sigh.  Oh well, at least I'm enjoying it.
     So for my parting words, I offer advice for my husband and daughter.  To my husband: Breathe, deep breaths, Relax, you have a girl and there will be so many things that you get to look forward to paying for that you need to just accept it and go to your happy place.  To my daughter: work really hard at that Pro tennis career that daddy has all planned out for you so that you can, maybe, someday, pay him back.
     As for me, I just sit back and enjoy my husband getting schooled by a 9 month old and him loving every minute of it!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest