Thursday, August 11, 2011

First "Big People" Vacation Post-Baby. Ahhhhhhh

Sleep.  Glorious sleep.  I had forgotten what you looked like my dear, sweet friend.  I think back on the time that we used to spend together.  Why have you decided to abandon me lately?

Yes, I am well-rested.  I am currently on vacation with my husband, sans baby, for the first time since our dear girl was born.  She is happily carrying on at home with grandma.  We thought about leaving her with our very capable Labrador but grandma volunteered so we conceded.  I kid!

Anyway, the first vacation away from your little one is an interesting experience.  First of all, I definitely went with one foot dragging.  After all, she is so little.  But I must say, once on that plane with one glass of wine in me, I was ready to go.  I chatted up the poor man next to me like we had been best friends forever.  (See, my hubs was in coach, me first class :) )  It was then I learned that I have been somewhat starved for adult conversation.  Anyway, to the man seated next to me, thanks for being an interesting travel companion and for allowing me to talk your ear off.

I then realized how very much I enjoy eating out at restaurants and not being on a time constraint.  It is a bit nice to not have a baby in a highchair next to you who will occasionally yell out as loud as she can.  Heaven!  However, I have also learned that I miss that little rugrat more than I could possibly imagine.  Our trip conversation has been peppered with, "When Sophie is bigger she will love ... (fill in the blank with various vacation experiences)."

One interesting revelation, I have never been more aware of my own mortality than on this trip.  Leaving behind your child makes you worry like some insane hypochondriac on speed that it could be your time to dance with the reaper, and what would happen to your child if that occurs.  First I was concerned about the flight, but that ended up fine.  However, today we had an interesting occurrence.  We are vacationing in Jackson Hole, WY (I hadn't mentioned earlier) and we have been doing a great deal of hiking.  Now there are Beware of Bear and Wildlife signs all over but you always think, "Whatever.  I'm not going to see anything."  Well let me tell ya, that is a stupid way to think!  Today, while hiking in Teton Natl. Park, I was ahead of my husband and rounded a curve only to come face-to-face with a moose.  My uneducated mind 's first thought was, "What is that horse doing on the trail?"  Ummmm, no idiot!  That is a big ole' wild moose!  So, my cool self did what you are not supposed to do: 1) Yell your husband's name 2) Snap a pic 3) Turn you back on said moose and hightail it in the opposite direction.  In case you want to know how a moose reacts to that type of behavior, they charge.  Yep, we survived a moose charge.  At the time he charged, I had maneuvered around my husband and he stood between me and the moose.  Surprisingly, he did not mess his pants.  Yay husband!  As it turned out the moose was just sending a warning, as he charged as far as the trail then turned off and went happily munching tree leaves.  Glad he was happy, because he left us both on the verge of a heart attack.

Moral of the story, don't mess with moose.  Not worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest