Monday, July 25, 2011

And To Think, Being Up Past 2am Used To Mean A Successful Night Out!

   Our little Sophie has hurdled yet another milestone.  After feeding her her morning bottle 2 days ago I discovered a sharp little protrusion jutting out from her bottom gums.  Yes, her first tooth has made it's glorious debut!  While I'm so proud of her, and aware of how fast these baby moments are all going by, I did reflect for a brief moment at how simply this little tooth made it's appearance.  I mean I had heard some horror stories from friends about their little ones getting their first tooth.  These stories ranged from tales of fevers, numerous and frequent poo's, complete lack of sleep, and inconsolable crying.  Needless to say, I was not really looking forward to teething.
     So here I am thinking, "Wow! That was easy!" But, as I should have known, Sophie was saving the good stuff for a more inconvenient time.  It began that afternoon when she absolutely, almost psychotically, refused to take her afternoon nap.  We actually had to resort to putting her in the car and driving around the neighborhood for 45 minutes while she snoozed.  Haven't had to pull out that trick in awhile.  Later that night, after she went down for bed, she decided that the party was just getting started at midnight.  Let me tell you, we have become way too accustomed to sleeping through the night, because that midnight crying wake up call was very much like being punched out of deep sleep by Mike Tyson.  She then continued the fuss parade from 1am-2am and had one last hurrah at 5:40am.  So much for easy teething!  Silly silly first-time mommy!
     Once again I have learned some valuable lessons.  1) Never get too comfortable in your routine because 7 month-old's don't really "do" routines 2)Teething is really super-awful for these little folk and I feel very sad that there isn't more I can do to ease her discomfort 3) Just accepting the fact that I don't have an active social life anymore and that I really should just go to bed at 9pm because it makes getting up at 1am much easier 4) I, at one time, fully expected to be up at 2am on a weekend night?  Remind me how that was fun because it really sucks now! 5) While I've never been the sappy sort, if I have to be up at 2am, there is a certain sweetness to cuddling my little gal in her quiet room and, finally, 6) I now get why it's called "cutting" teeth.  It doesn't just describe the physical act of the tooth cutting through the gums.  It also describes the "cutting" into your daily life.  Such as, "cutting" into my sleep, "cutting" into my daytime routine, "cutting" into my sanity! 

One tooth down!  19 baby teeth left to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest